Thursday, December 10, 2009

Zesty blueberry lemon squares


Alas, the weekend is upon us!
and I have for you all, one divine recipe;
my most delicious blueberry lemon squares.
I found this recipe in a Canadian Living magazine, but I've tweeked it just a little bit...and the result?
Edible magic.

I made these squares for our Christmas staff party tomorrow night, which is for the best... since all of my cookie tins are full.
These squares are similar to date squares, but BETTER!
The crumb topping is pretty similar, but I've added chopped walnuts (Thank-you Georgetown bakery) , lemon zest, and chopped candied ginger.
The filling is definitely the cherry on top. It's basically blueberries, sugar and lots of lemons.
It's sweet and a little sour.
Gargis.

When I was a little girl, I remember climbing up the hill at my summer house with my brother and sister to pick blueberries from the blueberry patch on the top of the hill.
I was always SO excited... mmmmmmmm blueberries.
But of course when Pat and Hil had their yogurt containers full, mine had maybe a handful, just enough to cover the bottom...

I was busy eating the blueberries when no one was looking. I was a bit like Sal. "Kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk"

I was never good at picking blueberries.

Strawberries were my thing.


"She picked three more berries and ate them. Then she picked more berries and dropped one in the pail-Kurplunk! And the rest she ate. Then Little Sal ate all four blueberries out of her pail!"
-Blueberries for Sal





Blueberry Lemon Squares
Inspiration: Canadian Living

Filling:
3 cups blueberries
4 tsp cornstarch, dissolved into 2 tbsp water
1/3 cup lemon juice
zest of 3 lemons
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Crumb topping:
1 3/4 cups oats
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp candied ginger, chopped
3/4 cup butter, cut into cubes


1. So first off, in a saucepan, bring blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.


2. Meanwhile, whisk 2 tbsp water with cornstarch and mix with the blueberries. Bring to a boil once again, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute. Then wrap surface with plastic wrap and let cool for 1 hour.


3. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Then cut in butter until it becomes crumbly.


4. Press half of this mixture into 8x8 metal cake pan, lined with waxed paper; spread with blueberry filling. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture and press lightly.

5. Bake at 350F until golden, about 45 minutes. Let cook on rack before cutting into squares.


ENJOY(:
Emma


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahah you're a cutie em

eyoung said...

Love the walnuts and the lemon zip - really, really good. I can see why they went over so well at your office Christmas party! Love you!

Unknown said...

i love the photo of the lemons

sandra