Monday, December 7, 2009

I conquer, "The best shortbread in the world"

Jamie! It's true. Delicious, tasty, melt in your mouth shortbread. The best. Almost......dangerous.
I've been waiting to give this recipe a try, and I'm thrilled that I have. It's one to keep in the big black book of favorites.
Oh, and for all you people out there who suffer with a swollen mouth (like myself) and can't eat anything but jello, mashed up banana and yogurt; I've found you the perfect recipe! This is it. Jamie Oliver's shortbread. You don't even have to chew it, it just melts.

I ask all you wise ones. Now that I've gotten my four wisdom teeth brutally ripped out of my mouth, does this make me less wise?
Can you answer that, Wise One?

It's a pretty basic recipe actually, didn't take me that long to whip up. It's the oven part that's time consuming. Most of the time, making shortbread really gets to me.. it's like you keep mixing, and mixing and mixing..... but it just never seems to stick together.
I'm always suspicious of shortbread.
Are you mixed?
Are you mixed enough?
Waaaait, are you even mixed at all?
What does that word, "mix" even mean?
I don't trust you shortbread.

So here's the recipe, give it a go!
I promise, you will not regret it.


The best shortbread in the world
Inspiration: my mate, Jamie Oliver


1 cup plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter (room temp)
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp superfine sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
2/3 cup semolina
or 1 cup cornstarch

pretty basic, hey? But most delicious.
I used the zest of 3 oranges, and mixed that in with the dough. Lemons would be divine as well.



1. So first off, preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 9 inch square pan.

2. Now, it is time to mix up your butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy.

3. Time to add your citrus zest (highly recomended!!) and mix the dough with your hands until it's nice and smooth.




4. You're nearly finished! All that's left is to roll out the dough on a floured surface until it's an even 1 inch thick all over. Then, press the rolled out dough into your square pan and prick all over with a fork.

5. Pop it into the oven for 50 minutes until lightly golden, et finit! You have now bake the best shortbread in the whole world. Now, that's an accomplishment.


Enjoy with a fresh, steamy cuppa' joe
how delightful

Best of luck,
Emma


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

these look yummy!

J said...

I've made these before, but I used lime zest.. delicious

Anonymous said...

I am going to try this on Thursday with Olivia!
Just in time for the school bake sale.
Thanks!
nadine :)

Unknown said...

great look emma! and funny and sweetly written... but with an edge! like all good citrus treats!

loe sandra