Saturday, January 21, 2012

Granola bars

The weather in this city is always changing. One day it's 16 below, the next day it's 9 above, and I find myself stripping off layers of scarf and sock, which I hadn't worn on the previous day (when my toes and fingers turned purple). How must one prepare for this weather? Wouldn't it be convenient to have some sort of invisible (dark oak) closet, that simply goes where you go, following you around, but so discretely that you don't even know it's there. Suddenly, you're boiling! Those stupid, useless scarves. This stuff! "Why do I have so much STUFF?" But then you remember the closet, that beautiful, elegant closet...
Perhaps you become extremely famished, conveniently you have an invisible closet, which also contains snacks, granola bars in fact.
Granola Bars
Adapted from Ina Garten & America's Test Kitchen

2 1/2 cups oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup shredded coconut
3/4 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup dried fruit (chocolate chips & nuts can also be added)

1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Butter a baking dish (9x13) and line the bottom with parchment paper.

2. Toss the oatmeal, almonds, and coconut together in a bowl. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until browned lightly. Lower the temperature to 300F.

3. While the mixture is still warm, stir in the honey, vanilla and salt, then add the dried fruit, nuts, and chocolate. Pour into baking sheet and press down firmly, until the mixture is extremely compact.

4. Bake for 30 minutes, until light brown. Cool for 2-3 hours before cutting into squares.

1 comment:

eyoung said...

I just made granola tonight and then checked your blog and there were granola bars! Almost all the same ingredients as my granola too - only my recipe did not have oats. I think cut up apricots would taste good in your bars and my granola too.