Friday, January 6, 2012

At last, I return with key lime pie!


Now that it's been nearly two years, with the encouragement of friends and my mother, I've come to a decision that it's now time to REVIVE my blog! An exciting and perhaps absurd endeavour. But I am committed! Perhaps I'll add the upkeep of my blog to my list of new year resolutions, that way I can be held accountable for such a task, considering it is now in (internet) print, for ALL of cyberspace to see.

Yes. That's right, I'm doing this.

Fortunately I love to bake, cook, AND eat! So I'm quick to think (but mostly hope), that this now written commitment won't be an overwhelming or stressful one. It really does help to say these things out loud you know, or rather write them down, so to eaaaaaase my own doubt, as if I'm asking you, whoever you are, to reassure me, because it really shouldn't be that bad. I mean, all I have to do is take a few pictures and write a couple of paragraphs............ Right? Don't you think? ...............Right?.......

I will do my best.

Here, I have a simple but tasty recipe for key lime pie. I found this recipe on the blog: thekitchensinkrecipes.com. I've made it countless times, and it's almost always a success, so definitely worth a try!



Key Lime Pie

crust:
11/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 Tbsp b. sugar
5 Tbsp melted butter
pinch of salt

filling:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg yolks
zest of 2 key limes (or 3 for more ZING)
1/2 cup & 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup whipping cream (optional)

To make crust:

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Stir together crust ingredients with fork and press mixture into a 9inch glass pie plate. Be sure to surround half way up side of pie plate.

3. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool.

Make filling:

1.Whisk together condensed milk and egg yolks in a bowl. Add lemon juice and zest. Whisk until well combined and thickened.

2. Pour filling into crust and bake for 15 minutes. Cool and let chill for 8 hours.

3.Whisk the cream and spread over the cooled pie. Sprinkle with lime zest.

ENJOY!


3 comments:

Lucia said...

LOVE this recipe! And love that your re-embarking on your blog!

eyoung said...

Great start to 2012 Emma! The photos really add to post.

Trudy said...

I am now enthused about trying to make this pie again for my husband. I tried once and failed miserably, so he then went months without pie and then...had 4 pumpkin ones in the fall. Thank you for inspiring me!