Monday, January 18, 2010

Sweet Potato Stew-like Soup! Yum!



Sweet potatoes are definitely a favorite of mine.
They intrigue me.
They're a vegetable (I think?), or quite possibly a fruit?
But they taste like dessert!

Sweet potatoes can be enjoyed in countless ways:
pies, fries, wedges, stews, chilies, baked, boiled... How wonderful for me!

One thing I can't quite understand is how my brother detests them! It's a shame, really. Since they are such a treat. If ever I see something with sweet potato on the menu, I have decided!
"I will have the sweet potato, please! "

The recipe I shall share today is a wonderful soup
and none other than sweet potato!

I love soup AND sweet potato. This recipe is simply excellent for all you sweet potato lovers out there.



Sweet Potato Soup

Inspiration: my dear friend, Jamie

3 carrots
2 celery stalks
2 medium onions
2 cloves of garlic (I used 4, yikes!)
1 3/4 pounds sweet potatoes (2-3)
a handful of fresh parsley
1 3/4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (approx. 5 cups)
olive oil
1 heaped tsp curry powder
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 fresh red chile

1. First off, peel and roughly slice the onions, carrots, garlic, and sweet potato. Slice the celery and finely chop the parsley leaves and stalks.

2. Put a large pan on a high heat and add 2 tbsp of olive oil. First add the garlic, until the aromas resonate, then add the onions and the remaining vegetables.



3. Put the broth in a saucepan and heat until boiling.

4. Add the curry powder and mix with a wooden spoon. Cook for 10 minutes with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape.

5. Add the boiling broth to the vegetables. Bring to a boil, and give the soup a good stir. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.

6. If you own an immersion blender or liquidizer, pulse the soup until smooth. For those of you who don't own an immersion blender (like myself), you can mash it with a potato masher! It ends up looking a little strange, but is just as tasty!



I bid thee, delightful.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

this seems almost stewlike...

Emma said...

you're right Sandra, it was more of a stew.....

Anonymous said...

Emma: "One thing that I can't quite understand is how my brother detests them!"

Well, you know? Boys. ;-)

'Speaking of citrus treats: I'm making marmalade tonight with my younger daughter's boyfriend. It's my first time, and definitely his, and we're wondering how it's all going to turn out.

Making marmalade isn't as easy as making Cranberry Sauce.

'Any tips? I'll let you know how ours turned out ...

jane

Anonymous said...

Emma!
This is a most wonderful blog. I shall certainly try your offerings. The site is absolutely amazing.
Doris

Hilary said...

Hi Em, Your soup recipe looks delightful. I will definitely try it out and let you know how turns out!

Anonymous said...

A few months later ...

We made the marmalade, but as I was boiling it, I was also doing a few other things, and my daughter's boyfriend was playing chess with my husband. (Our kitchen is a one-bum room.)

So, the marmalade became a little darker than it should, but it still tastes quite delicious.

We have called it "CRNO Marmalade" (Black Marmalade). Crno means "black" in Serbian, as Stefan is Serbian.

NEXT YEAR, no playing chess or making other things: We must concentrate on the boiling marmalade mixture, as it heats up FAST! ;-)

jane